This month’s prospect is a RARE Singapore FDC. One of the stamps in the National Monuments set of 1984, the 10c stamp, depicted the House of Tan Yeok Nee, the Salvation Army HQ in Singapore. The cover was issued by the Salvation Army HQ and a few were signed the day before (!!!) the issue date by the commanding officer, with a occasion specific slogan PM. The signed & numbered cover was issued in a very limited edition, possible up to 100 covers (I’ve only seen to no. 26). This is no. 1 !!!!
Rare cover with the 100th Birthday Catherine B. Booth PM. Issued 20.07.1983 (not FDC).
The cachet is seldom seen, marked with Ramsey Philatelic Services nr. 156 and pictures hands folded in prayer. Single Isle of Man – William Booth stamp.
The San Francisco Mission corps has issued two anniversary issues, both with the SA stamp from 1965 on it. In Autumn 1965 they issued a 75th anniversary cachet and in 1990 a centenary cachet. The centenary issue had its own logo and text: “with Christ into the future”
Harry Hayes was a knowledgeable SA philatelist and was also the first editor of the SA Philatelic Circle Journal (1991 – 2005), later called the Australian and again later the International SA Philatelic & Historical Journal. His home corps was Batley Castle. In 1978 they tried to build up a building fund. To support the fund, Harry issued a few limited FDC issues of the 25th Anniversary of the Coronation of QE. A special “parachute post” slogan PM was added and the text “Issued in aid of the SA Batley Castley Building Fund”. The shown cover here was made in a very limited edition of 45 and had two prestamped QE 5p in addition to a single blue coronation stamp.
Two nice & RARE Salvation Army covers, both from the 1930s. One commemorating the founder William Booth, born 1829 and died 1912.
The other cover is an old official cachet from the Territorial Headquarter in San Francisco sent to Brigadier Doring in Germany.
The first Asian outpost was established in India, 1882, hence, the Indian centenary cachet. William Booth’s dying wish was for the Salvation Army to be established in China. In 1916 the first officers were sent. Following political difficulties by 1949 the Army withdrew from mainland but work still continued in the provinces of Hong Kong and Taiwan. The SA re-established in mainland China in 2017. The Chinese letter is really postal history; an official SA cover sent to Sweden in 1924, eight years after SA began in China!! (Ref: The Salvation Army in mainland China).
The work in Norway was officially opened in January 1888. Eight salvationist from Sweden “opened fire”. Typically for the SA, half of the group were women. The uniformed and music loving soldiers who showed their Christian faith in practice, received a mixed response, also with some unpleasant experiences. However, the work spread rapidly, and in one year there were already 10 corps in Norway.
Two centenary stamps were issued in 1988. One depicts an open air meeting and a SA band with singing soldiers in the back. A maxicard with similar motif was also issued by the SA army. The maxicard was a copy of “Attack on a fishing village”, a painting by Wilhelm Peters from 1895 (source: History of SA in Norway).
The Christian Mission began in 1865 when William Booth, a London minister, gave up the comfort of his pulpit and decided to take his message into the streets where it would reach the poor, the homeless, the hungry and the destitute. In May 1878, Booth summoned his son, Bramwell, and his good friend George Railton to read a proof of the Mission’s annual report. At the top it read: THE CHRISTIAN MISSION is A VOLUNTEER ARMY.
Bramwell strongly objected to this wording. He was not a volunteer: he was compelled to do God’s work. So, in a flash of inspiration, Booth crossed out ‘Volunteer’ and wrote ‘Salvation’. The Salvation Army was born. Two stamp issues commemorate the SA name; the Monaco & Jamaica 1978 issues [Source: Our History].
On Rotoroa Island east of Aucland city, the Salvation Army ran a treatment center for alcoholics during the 20th century. A small post office was even located there, run by the SA. At the time of the centenary stamp issue in 1983, a very limited edition of local FDCs were issued with a picture of the location, i.e., this cover is extremely rare.